When you think of olive oil, dessert is not the first thing that comes to mind, is it?
Apparently desserts made with Olive Oil is the biggest trend in the food industry right now. Chefs all over the world are experimenting with all kinds of desserts using olive oil - cookies, gelato, cake, custard, pie, mousse, etc.
I haven't seen many places in India experiment with it as yet. But then again when has that ever stopped us from experimenting with it in our kitchens.
Here is a recipe for Olive Oil Cookies with Rosemary & Red Wine to get you started and judge for yourself if you are on board with this trend.
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked red pepper flakes or regular red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus a little for cookie sheet
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients.
- Beat the eggs with the olive oil and wine. Use a rubber spatula to stir the liquid mix into the dry one, just until well combined - if the mixture is stiff, add a little more wine.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet and back 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool a couple of minutes, then remove the cookies to a rack to cool further.
Let us know your experience in the comments section below.
Recipe & Image: credit to the source website