When I am trying to eat healthily, I generally prefer eating fruits and veggies. I always add a fruit in my salads so as to break the monotony of the taste of only veggies and also the juices that fruits release gives loads of flavor to your otherwise regular veggie salad.
As you must have already read in my previous posts, I am always on a lookout for delish and healthy recipes. So you can imagine my excitement when I find a recipe that has fruits, veggies, and herbs!!
Here is a recipe I stumbled upon this morning of Melon Basil Summer Rolls:
- about 15 rice paper wrappers
- Spicy Cilantro Almond Pesto (or any other kind of pesto that you prefer)
- about 1/2 purple cabbage – thinly sliced (regular cabbage would also do)
- 1/4 – 1/2 ripe sweet melon such as Honeydew
- 2-3 medium carrots – finely shredded
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- large handful fresh mint leaves – optional
1. Cut the melon in half, remove the seeds, peel and slice the flesh into strips.
2. Prepare a large bowl of warm water and a working area covered with a damp dishtowel. Start dipping your wrappers in the water, one at a time, for a minute or so, until it begins to soften. Don’t keep the wrapper in the water too long to prevent tearing.
3. Place each wrapper on a damp dish towel (one at a time) and begin to fill it. Spread about 1 teaspoon of pesto in the middle of the wrapper, followed by cabbage, 1-2 melon strips, carrots, and herbs.
4. Fold the bottom part of the wrapper over the filling, followed by the sides, then roll it tightly.
5. Serve right away with the sauce or keep covered with a damp dish or paper towel until ready to serve. These rolls are best when eaten within a day or two.
I have made rice paper rolls before and frankly, I am bored of eating the same old spicy peanut dipping sauce or sweet chili sauce. Now this recipe came with an exciting new recipe of Tamarind Dipping Sauce, which was I must agree an added bonus.
Tamarind Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 small red chili – seeded and minced (optional)
In a medium bowl, mix together all of the ingredients thoroughly. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Give it a try and let me know how did you like this recipe.
Image & Source: http://golubkakitchen.com/2013/07/melon-basil-summer-rolls.ht