How To Use Flavored Salt In Different Ways
Salt is the most essential ingredient in your dish. It holds so much power that less or more of it can destroy your dish. It also plays a very important role in our daily life. Not only is it a vital substance for all living creatures, it also regulates the water content of our body. However there has been a lot of research that salt is the origin of many health problems and it must be avoided at any cost. Of course, one should always consume it in reasonable quantities and favor quality.
Natural sea salt is a healthier option to your regular table salt. It is more savory than the regular table salt hence you can add lesser quantity of it. Sea Salt is a great carrier of other flavors too. It can be infused with numerous other flavors as it had the capability to hold other flavors well. Now Garlic salt is available in the market since sometime now. However, it is a whole new world today with the smoked salts and salts with intense flavors like chipotle and maple.
Flavored Sea salts can be used in of the dishes you wish . It can be used in cooking, baking, and grilling.
Lets first look at:
What are the different categories of Sea Salt?
- Natural Sea Salts: These are pure sea salts with naturally occurring minerals remaining.
- Smoked Sea Salts: These are natural sea salts cold smoked for long periods to give them intense smoky flavors.
- Savory Sea Salts: These are natural sea salts mixed with savory substances from garlic to lime to chipotle. These are intense enough to flavor your food.
- Sweet Sea Salts: These are natural sea salts mixed with sweet substances such maple syrup and lavender to create a sweet-salty flavor.
What kind of salt should you use?
It’s really up to you. Coarse salt adds dramatic flair when sprinkled over dishes just before serving, while finely ground salt is more useful in recipes. Imagine salmon or tuna seared with chipotle flavored sea salt - Slurppp!!
Which is the best use for flavored salts?
What kind of flavored sea salt goes with what kind of dishes?
- Herb Salts - poultry, fish, beef, veal, pork, lamb, rubs, vegetables, soups, stews, braises, stuffing, breads, eggs, rice, pasta, dipping oils, dressings and dips
- Spicy Salts - beef, veal pork, poultry, fish, eggs, rice, popcorn, soups, stews, rubs, pasta, potatoes, sauces, couscous, dips, dressings and dipping oils
- Mushroom Salt - beef, veal pork, poultry, eggs, rice, popcorn, soups, pasta, potatoes, cream sauces and dipping oils
- Nutty Salts - vegetables, breads, rice, soups, dips and salad dressings
- Seedy Salts - vegetables, breads, soups, dips and salad dressings
- Citrus Salts - fish, seafood, chicken, potatoes, rice, pasta and salad dressings
- Fruit Salts - tagines, couscous, Middle Eastern dishes, poultry, beef, veal, pork, lamb and rice
- Floral Salts - vegtables, dressings, dips, beef, chicken, pork, lamb, veal, rice and soups
Now while I was researching on the use of flavored sea salt, I also found out that its quite easy to make your own flavored sea salt. http://www.mommypotamus.com/flavored-salt-recipes/ They has some cool recipes for me that maybe you can try at home.
For all those lazy ones, you can buy from our store and give it a try - https://www.thegourmetbox.in/collections/infused-flavored-salts
Do let us know how you like using flavored salt in your cuisine in the comments below.
Source: http://www.saltworks.us/flavored-salt.asp#.VXqcQvmqqko, http://rosas-yummy-yums.blogspot.in/2012/06/spice-up-your-dishes-with-flavored.html, http://www.preparedpantryblog.com/flavored-sea-salt-recipes/, http://www.mommypo