Mumbai monsoons are finally here and they are here with a BANG!!. It has been pouring cats and dogs and the whole city has cooled down after three months of sweaty and sweltering summer. Its time to overdose on hot cups of teas, hot chocolates, coffee, soup bowls and stir fry - just writing this blogpost is making my mouth water thinking about them!!
Now I have had a pack of quinoa lying around at home for a few days. I wanted to make something different with it rather than just a regular salad or quinoa patties. As you must have already read in my earlier posts that I am obsessed with Asian flavors, so I started researching on how I can use quinoa in Asian stir frys.
I found this deliciously mouth-watering recipe its the perfect dinner for this rainy weather.
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 cup (1-inch) slices green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 5 ounces thinly sliced shiitake/button mushroom caps
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage/purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Arrange tofu on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; let stand 15 minutes.
- Cut into 1/2-inch-thick cubes. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan- swirl to coat.
- Add tofu- sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Place tofu in a bowl.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add onions and next 4 ingredients (through bell pepper); stir-fry 4 minutes or just until tender.
- Then add 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and salt- cook 30 seconds.
- Add mushroom mixture to tofu. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, quinoa, cabbage, cilantro, and sugar. Toss well to combine.
Try the recipe and let us know your experience in the comments section below.
Image: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/asian-stir-fry-quinoa Recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/asian-stir-fry-quinoa