Salad Bowls are the new cool thing in the salad world and I am going a little crazy experimenting with the different flavors and ingredients. It's perfect for this crazy hot in Bombay. Salad bowls are healthy, filling, have bags of flavor and they are perfect for dinner on hot days. As you guys know quinoa the new black in the healthy world it goes amazingly well in salad bowls.
Here is a recipe of Fajita Quinoa Bowls for you guys to try. I can guarantee it that it tastes delish and perfect for this insane weather in Bombay.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into thin rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 200 gm mushrooms, wiped clean and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 packet of Fajita Seasoning
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can black beans, drained, rinsed, and heated (you can use Rajma as well)
Cilantro Lime Quinoa
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- Romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Fresh lime juice, for squeezing over bowls
For Cilantro Lime Quinoa:
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large pot, bring the 2 cups of vegetable broth to a boil. Stir in quinoa and cook until broth is evaporated and quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes. Pour quinoa into a medium bowl and fluff with a fork. Stir in garlic, lime juice, cilantro, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
For Fajita Quinoa Bowl:
Heat a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the olive oil. Add the onions and peppers and cook until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the mushrooms, water, and fajita seasoning. Stir until seasoning mixes. Add the fresh lime juice, cilantro, and cook until the mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat and set aside. To assemble the fajita bowls, fill bowls with fajita veggies, black beans, cilantro-lime quinoa, tomatoes, lettuce, and avocado slices. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the bowls and serve.
Note: If you can't find fajita seasoning you can use taco seasoning. You can serve tortillas on the side if desired. If you don't need the bowls to be vegan, feel free to add cheese, sour cream/Greek yogurt! You can also add chicken or steak to the mix! Go crazy and customize your bowls! Tell us your experience with it in the comments section below.
Image & Recipe Source: Credit goes to the owner website