Summer Lemon-Vegetable Risotto
- 250gm of asparagus, rimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces $
- 250gm sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut in half
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices $
- 1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add asparagus and peas; cook for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add zucchini and squash to pan; cook for 7 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
3. Bring vegetable broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium heat. Add shallots, and cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, cook until liquid is absorbed (about 30 seconds), stirring constantly.
5. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Reserve 1/4 cup broth. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 22 minutes total).
6. Stir in vegetables; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in reserved 1/4 cup broth and remaining ingredients. Cooking Tip: Reserving some of the cooking liquid for the very end helps to keep the risotto recipe creamy.
Image: www.myrecipes.com Recipe Link: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/summer-lemon-vegetable-risotto